VitalStim Swallowing Therapy
Difficulties swallowing can keep you from your place at the dinner table. Along with persistent coughing or clearing the throat, these can all be signs of dysphagia (dis-FAY-ja).
Look for one or more of the following signs and symptoms of dysphagia to know if you, or your loved one, might be a candidate for dysphagia therapy:
• Difficulty swallowing or initiating a swallow
• Abnormal volitional cough
• Decreased voice quality (wet, hoarse, weak)
• Recurring chest infections
• Swallowing difficulty: multiple swallows or special maneuvers required to clear throat
• Difficulty completing a meal
• Feeling of food being stuck in the throat
• Soft diet or modified diet required (thickening, pureeing food; soft solids)
• Spilling food or liquid from lips and/or drooling
Good Samaritan offers a complete dysphagia evaluation and treatment program, including VitalStim® Therapy - an FDA cleared therapy program using neuromuscular electrical stimulation.
VitalStim Therapy is designed to help patients with dysphagia or trouble swallowing. Dysphagia can occur as a result of a stroke or other neurological disease, normal aging or after a long period of inactivity.
Talk with your doctor or call our speech pathologists today at 717.270.7812 to learn how we can help you improve your ability to swallow.
LEARN ABOUT COPING WITH SWALLOWING DIFFICULTIES IN OUR HEALTH LIBRARY
For more information on VitalStim Therapy, visit www.vitalstimtherapy.com.